International students: Getting started

International students: Getting started

This page provides practical information for international students at AHO.

  1. Course registration
  2. Accommodation
  3. Student residency permit
  4. Norwegian ID-number
  5. Insurance
  6. Useful links

Course registration

Master's level students take one studio course (24 ECTS) and one elective course (6 ECTS) per semester. Prior to each academic year the students may apply for courses by submitting a list of three alternatives* for each course type in prioritized order through the application portal Studweb.

Studweb log in details are sent via email before course registration opens.

* New students in Master of Landscape Architecture will follow a mandatory course plan in the first year of the programme, but must still register for courses through Studweb. A list of the courses you must register for will be provided.


All students admitted to AHO are eligible for accommodation through The Foundation for Student life in Oslo (SIO). You apply by completing the online application form on the SiO website. When asked for your Norwegian ID-number, you may enter your date of birth.

It is advisable to apply as soon as possible after being admitted to AHO.

International students are prioritized for SiO housing. However, remember to set up a number of alternatives for accommodation. Due to high demand in student housing in Oslo, there is no guarantee that you will get your first priority.

Apply for student residence permit


Students from outside the European Economic Area must apply for a residence permit and, if applicable, a visa, before entering Norway. Apply as soon as possible, before 1 June to guarantee residence permit before semester start in August.

For information on how to apply, visit The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's website (UDI).

You will need AHO's organization number when filling in the online application: 971 526 378.

Please note, for exchange students who start in January other deadlines apply. Information will be sent via email.

Regarding economic subsistence, you must document funds corresponding to the amount of full support from The Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund (click here for information). For those who do not hold a personal account in a Norwegian bank, the amount may be transferred to a deposit account held by AHO. Details for the transfer will be provided by the Academic Services.


Students with EU/EEA citizenship need to register with the Oslo Police if staying for longer than three months.
For information on how to register, visit The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration's website.

Nordic Citizens

Nationals of the Nordic countries Iceland, Denmark, Sweden and Finland do not need a student residence permit. For information about social benefits, health insurance, etc. for Nordic citizens, visit HalloNorden and The Nordic Social Insurance Portal.

Norwegian ID-number

When your residence permit is granted you may apply for a 11-digit Norwegian personal ID-number. This is necessary in order to open a Norwegian bank account (and get your deposit back, if applicable), receive tax deduction card for part time work etc. For more information, visit Service Centre for Foreign Workers

Remember to bring a copy of the letter with your Norwegian ID-number from Skatt Øst to the Academic Services at AHO.

Exchange and visiting students who will stay for one semester only will normally not be granted a Norwegian ID-number. These students are advised to visit a bank as soon as possible after arrival in Norway to have the bank order a D-number on their behalf. A bank account can be established when the d-number is granted.

For further questions, do not hesitate to contact Academic Services.

Personal insurance

Students are not entitled to personal insurance coverage through the school.

AHO does not cover insurance for the students’ private belongings. It is every student’s own responsibility to protect personal equipment against theft or damage.

Membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme

As a student in Norway you may obtain membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. Membership depends on your country of origin and the length of your studies in Norway. Students who do not become members of the National Insurance Scheme should sign private insurance policies.

Useful links

As an AHO-student you automatically obtain membership in The Foundation for Student Life in Oslo and Akershus (SIO).

Learn more about The Norwegian Capital at VisitOslo. 

Find useful information on Norway as a country for studies at StudyinNorway.

The International Summer School at The University of Oslo

New in Norway – practical information from public offices – your gateway to the public sector in Norway. 

Read about membership of the national incurance Scheme here


As a foreigner you are not entitled to occupational injury compensation from the Norwegian state for injuries occurred during studies in Norway.